[Techtalk] Dell laptop with external monitor

tiera tiera at hotpop.com
Tue Jul 22 12:29:06 EST 2003

Hi!
I have a question here. I'm using my Dell Latitude c840 with Redhat 9
and can't get my external monitor to work when I start X. In text mode
the external monitor works fine, but as soon as I start up X the monitor
goes black.

Now, I've run the X configuration tool and it finds and correctly identifies
the external monitor, but still no success. Network adapter and everything
else connected via the docking station works fine. I've read a few
guides on howto get this monitor to work, but they don't work for
me. I've made different XF86config files for docked and undocked
situation, but without success. Eventhough Xconfig correctly identifies and
sets up the external monitor, it still goes black when I start X. Any clues?
If I check the logfiles for X no errors are found. It seems that X believes
that everything is fine, eventhough no picture is displayed on the external
monitor.

rgds,
/tiera