[Techtalk] conceptual CVS

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Fri Jul 18 10:54:38 EST 2003

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 10:14:44PM -0700, Cynthia Kiser wrote:
> Well Emma has already replied that rsync is not an option as that
> would require her to have the admin's install rsync. I was suggesting
> she circumvent the "needs admins" by installing the cvs binary in her
> home directory. That gives her the cvs client and server - but if she
> does not set up a repository on any of the machines she does not
> admin, then I expect no one to be the wiser.

I don't understand how I'd use CVS to push files across to the different
servers. If I'm still using scp to copy files then it's the same as what
I'm doing right now...

> servers. (And how are the admins living without rsync? I would expect
> them to need it for their own purposes)

In one case my stuff is supposed to be the only one running on that
server. The sys admin took several *weeks* to get Apache + PHP + MySQL
configured the way I wanted it. I'm not exactly a priority, they're
overworked and I can't have root because of the politics of it all.
(Ironically that's the one that already has rsync...)

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]