[Techtalk] report on shiny new Thinkpad, or, Windows sux worse than ever

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Sat Jul 12 01:34:56 EST 2003

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 10:13:18PM -0700, Carla Schroder wrote:
> First off, there are NO software CDs included. Nada. zero. Zip. None. Not
> even a recovery CD. There is a recovery partition on the hard drive, oh
> that's a good idea. :P However IBM will ship a recovery CD, free, on request.

I believe microsoft would say that's against their policy (not that it
helps you today). You may be able to get a set of full CDs by complaining to MS.
Acer does almost the same thing...they ship their version of what an MS CD
should look like. And then to make things worse they give you Windows 2000
+ WindowsXP but only the drivers for XP. And don't bother calling Acer
tech support: they only have XP installs and think XP == Win2K. *grumble*

emma <-- debian only. The windows partition did *not* survive the last
install. That's what cheap desktops are for.

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]