[Techtalk] Top posting discussion

Staci scorcora at wisc.edu
Wed Jul 9 22:29:20 EST 2003

I resent the

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Carla Schroder wrote:

> On Wednesday 09 July 2003 6:55 pm, Staci wrote:
> I changed my posting style after a discussion in a newsgroup about it. Like so
> many people, I started out on Windows in a corporate environment. Which is
> the opposite of what is sensible. The discussion made sense, so I changed,
> rather than being stubborn for no good reason.
>
> Did you read this?
> http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post
>
> "The object is to communicate with the reader, not just make life easy for the
> writer. It's the same idea behind using mark-up and formatting and layout and
> design to build a web site -- the author does a little work and sufffers a
> little inconvenience so all the readers can benefit. If you've got something
> worthwhile to say, it's worth putting some thought into designing the
> message. "
>
> Sounds pretty sensible to me.

I resent the idea that if I'm not posting inline I'm not putting thought into designing the message. I just find
that while MOST people remember enuf from message to message, it's occasionally handy to have the text of the
message to hand, without having to sift thru my mailbox looking for past messages (esp since if I left all the
posts in there as someone suggested, it'd be mighty full!).  So putting it inline would be an extra complication
for people who just want to know the immediate comments.

It all depends on your personal methodology of what messages you save, which you delete, and how much you
remember from message to message, oh and what messages you read, all or some or none.

I still contend there's nothing to do but deal with it.
People are too individual to outline ONE METHOD of doing anything, and require EVERYONE to use it.

FYI I put a lot of effort into my posts, generally more than I ought to, and top-posting is a conscious choice.

sl