[Techtalk] Top posting discussion

Piglet listpig at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 9 02:07:34 EST 2003

What intrigues me is attempting to determine what's being said here.

Is it "I prefer (top/bottom) but it wouldn't really matter all THAT much if
people would just please SNIP what you're responding to"

Or is it "Look, if you can't bottom post, then DON'T POST HERE" ?

The folks here are essentially reasonable, so what I expect to hear is the
former, but what it feels like I'm hearing is the latter.

The two biggest pits folks in usenet and mailing lists repeatedly fall into
are, obviously, not snipping and not changing subject lines, so that you
have a subject line of "What distro" with a discussion of what sort of crust
you like on your pizza.  The crusade to stop this is never ending, and
probably will continue to be so.

So there's nothing wrong with reminders from time to time when we all get a
bit sloppy, but there's a difference between that and "my way or the
highway" (and/or "my way is personally ordained by the One True
Goddess")........

But it's difficult to respond when you don't know which of those you're
actually responding to. :)

--pig, who rather feels like she's been told "change or go away"