[Techtalk] firewire

Alvin Goats agoats at compuserve.com
Tue Jul 8 23:36:01 EST 2003

> > Actually, they're a hard disk in a hardshell cartridge. They use hard
> > drive disk heads and have the performance of a low to moderate hard
> > drive.
>
> Damn, now I've got to find out what the technology is I was thinking of.
> Similar to Minidisc, but larger capacity, a different form factor, and
> dedicated to data, but using similarly shaped drives.
>
> Nuts, this is going to really bug me.

The 120Meg LS-120 SuperDisk

A 3.5 inch floppy disk with laser index marks between the record tracks
to help guide the disk heads, which were actually the smaller hard drive
disk head type on a floppy drive. IDE based drive with some external
parallel port versions that still used the same IDE drive. Smaller than
the Zip disk with 20Meg more storage, but the disks were much more
expensive (like 3X a Zip disk) and the drives were expensive too. Great
idea, but the pricing was botched. They also make an LS-240, which is a
240Meg disk.

Hopefully you won't be "bugged" any more! ;)

Alvin