[Techtalk] firewire

Carlo Hamalainen ch at uqconnect.net
Wed Jul 9 13:30:30 EST 2003

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 09:18:10PM -0500, Staci wrote:
> Y'know, I just have to argue here.

Then I'll join in too :)

> When you ask someone something, say "How was your day?", you don't parrot back to them "How was your day?  It
> was fine thanks."  You just answer.  The most recent bit is the part you respond to.  If someone asks a
> complicated question, like "Did you get to the grocery store today, the milk was on sale?", you don't say
> "Did you get to the store No I didn't make it the car wasn't working today maybe tomorrow the milk was on sale
> too bad we drink lots of milk."
>
> To quote a popular American commercial: That ain't natural.

That's fine, but spoken language isn't the same as written.

If everyone top posts then to get the 'story' you would have to read
from the bottom of the latest post, doing a combination of page-up and
page-downs to read it. That's not natural. It doesn't present the
sequence of questions and answers in the same direction as how we read.

-- Carlo