[Techtalk] Top Posting (was firewire)

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Wed Jul 9 09:03:45 EST 2003

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003, Akkana Peck wrote:
> Now, how many of you had to wait to download 82 lines of message
> (not counting headers) over a modem line, instead of only 9 lines
> of original message if Rachel had not included all the quoted
> material?  That's a factor of 9 increase in size -- in order to
> download content that you've already seen.

Please keep in mind also that a factor 9 increase in size is a factor 9
increase in cost in countries where traffic is accounted by the
megabyte.

This is more relevant for the host, who has to send out 500 copies (xthe
extra cost).  The costs of hosting linuxchix.org are not borne by the
Vespermans (I think) but they are still paid, generously, by their
hosts, somewhere. Bandwidth is not cheap outside North America, so even
if you think the time I spend downloading your posts should be as
nothing to me, my money is still at stake.

-Mary