[Techtalk] Debian testing/unstable system: keyboard freeze in X on reboot

Stephanie Boyd slb at ixtab.org.uk
Mon Jan 27 18:16:33 EST 2003

My main box has been running testing for some time,
with the odd thing pulled in from unstable.  Before
shutting it down for the weekend it had been up for
a month without incident.  Upon return the gdm
logon screen would accept no keyboard input, although
the mouse continued to function.  I was also unable
to switch between virtual consoles.  When I killed
gdm remotely, the keyboard worked fine on the command
line. Also, when I killed gdm, my attempts at typing
in the login box had appeared on the previously active
console.

Here's what I've tried:

- checked XF86Config-4.  This has not been altered for
  several months and was working fine.

- attached another keyboard.  Same behaviour as before.

- checked that installation of gdm is up to date.

- updated glibc to 2.3.1-10 (was runnning 2.3.1-5,
  so thought I'd upgrade given recent problems).

Running gdm 2.2.5.5-2
	gnome 1.4
	xfree86-server 4.2.1-4
	generic ps/2 "windows" keyboard
	2.4.18 kernel

Unfortunately I'd failed to get apt-listchanges to mail
me, so I'm not entirely certain what's been installed
in the last month (won't do that again).

       Stephanie

--
Stephanie Boyd			http://www.ixtab.org.uk/slb

"The best Windows accelerator is that which works at 9.81m/s2 "-------------- next part --------------