[Techtalk] RPM proceedures & practices

Brenda Bell k15a-list-linuxchix at theotherbell.com
Fri Jan 24 15:58:34 EST 2003

Hamster wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you really want to have a look inside an rpm, then download a utility called
> rpm2tar

There's another utility called CheckInstall at
http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/.  I've found it to be
useful and reliable for creating a basic package from source I build
myself -- good enough that I can uninstall the package later if it needs
to be removed.

> If you want the full picture, the document Maximum
> RPM (http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/) gives you pretty much all there is to know.

I also got a better understanding of package management from the urpmi
doc at http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/jwrobinson/docs/urpmi-howto/... it's
also much faster than the Mandrake gui.

Of course, there's always the How-To at
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/RPM-HOWTO/index.html... it's old but I've
found it to be useful nonetheless.

> If you want to know about converting tarballs to rpms, another good source is
> the developers section of your rpm based distro. Mandrake at least has a
> document about how to contribute to the distro, and part of that includes how
> to make Mandrake type rpms.

If you're running Mandrake, there's another utility at
http://www.mandrakeclub.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=RPM&func=configure_urpmi&RID=199
that's handy for generating urpmi command lines to add new RPM sources.