[Techtalk] graphics working again

Almut Behrens almut-behrens at gmx.net
Wed Jan 22 22:48:06 EST 2003

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 03:00:25PM -0500, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:

> Of course the cdburner still doesn't work, but at least I have a GUI
> again. :) It turns out I have a cdburner that needs "IDE SCSI emulation."
> I thought I turned that on last night when I recompiled the kernel, but I
> get the exact same error as before. The good news is I think I'm no longer
> afraid to recompile my kernel. Or maybe that's the bad news. ;)

maybe you've worked it out yourself in the meantime... If not, you
might check whether you are telling the kernel to enable SCSI emulation
for the device in question (simply turning SCSI emulation on in the
kernel configuration is not sufficient).
You need to start the kernel with a parameter "hdX=ide-scsi" at boot
time, where the "hdX" is the name of your IDE CD-burner device (hdb,
hdc, or whatever). When you're using LILO as boot loader, you'd have to
add a line to your lilo.conf, e.g.

append="hdc=ide-scsi"

Then rerun lilo, and reboot.

When you're using the boot manager GRUB, you'd have to put the
"hdX=ide-scsi" kernel parameter in grub's menu.lst file. There's a
nice GRUB-in-Debian HOWTO explaining how to do this "the debian way":

http://www.linuxorbit.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=539&page=1

Good luck,

Almut