[Techtalk] help configuring our printer

Helen Rosseau hrosseau at vistar.ca
Mon Jan 20 13:07:52 EST 2003

I don't use Redhat, but I do use samba on a Suse box.

I have used swat to configure the samba server  port 901
I have had good luck just editing the smb.conf file and then restarting nmb
and smb.  You could try either of these methods.  Swat normally has to be
turned on.
I have copied my smb.conf file (samba configuration file) for you to use as a
comparison to see what you may require. The common printer is the listing at
the very bottom for the hp5100, which is visble by the winnt boxes on our
network.  One point to verify, is that the preferred master  is set to false
as well as the domain master.  If the windows people do not have this
configured properly, your box could take over the domain.

Helen

:/etc/samba> more smb.conf
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from localhost (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2002/11/26 15:37:38

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = workgroup
        netbios name = PETUNIA
        security = SHARE
        map to guest = Bad User
        socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
        character set = ISO8859-15
        os level = 2
        preferred master = False
        domain master = False
        wins server = 10.1.11.1
        veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/riched20.dll/*.{*}/

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        create mask = 0640