[Techtalk] medusa

Hamster hamster at hamsternet.org
Mon Jan 20 15:09:51 EST 2003

Andrew,

> 	I have medusa the (nautilus) indexing program running. I want to stop
> 	it.

As I see it there are a couple of options.

The first one is to simply uninstall the software.

(as root) rpm -ev medusa

will kill it dead in the water.

Stopping it through other means might be a little bit trickier because the
medusa documentation contradicts itself on how to do this.

But I think following the next few steps should be enough to put it out of
commission.

Do all this as root at the command prompt.

1. service medusa stop
(This stops medusa in the here and now)

2. chkconfig --level 2345 medusa off
(This stops the daemon part of medusa from ever running again)

3. Edit the file /etc/medusa/medusa.conf
This is where the contradictions come into play. The man page (man medusa.conf)
says that you need to add a line blocked=yes to get it to stop, yet when you
read the contents of the medusa.conf file itself, it says that you need to add
a line enabled=no

I'm not sure what to tell you what to do. You'll be running a different version
of medusa than me, so have a look at what your copy of the
/etc/medusa/medusa.conf file says and also do a man medusa.conf to see what the
man page tells you.

If all else fails, add both options to the file. One of them surely should
work.

But hopefully with the daemon itself not working then the rest mightnt work
either.

Hamster