[Techtalk] Preaching to the choir--OT response

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Mon Jan 13 00:07:22 EST 2003

On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 07:19:21PM -0500, Andrew wrote:
> 	Maybe some here would be inteersted. New York Times Article on computing and
> "girls'.
> 	You need to go through a free sign-process

I agree with the subject line of the original email. The article is a bit
of a *yawn*. I wish it actually reported some news. A great new program, a
scholarship/fund, success rates of women who do enter the field (vs male
success rates?).

I teach a college course in XHTML, CSS and JavaScript. The percentage of
women is very low and of those who are there half are at the top of the
class and half are failing out. There doesn't seem to be an in between.

On a mostly unrelated note: this semester I did a simplified learning
style assessment in the first class. I was amazed to see that nearly half
the class (based on a Kolb-style assessment) had lecture style learning
("thinking")
as their preferred method. The three other styles were "doing", "feeling"
(both hands-on/activity based), the other of which is
"watching"/brainstorming/not really hands-on. My learning style according
to the test I gave to the students was basically right in the middle of
all four learning styles.

emma :)

--
Emma Jane Hogbin