[Techtalk] Which distro?

WolfRyder wolfryder at qwest.net
Fri Jan 10 09:22:46 EST 2003

>         I too wanted to ask the distro question. I find Mandrake really
> good but for
>some odd reason in 8.0 and 8.2  the update, ether GUI or URPMI have not
>worked for me. Very frustrating. I have tried in four different machines and
>6-12 installs of 8.0 (CD bought from them) and 8.2 (CD bought from E-Bay
>$5.US).

I think the answer to the update, or at least the install problem on
Mandrake as well as Redhat is mentioned here:

http://www.sgms-centre.com/LAMPS/

"Note to Red Hat and Mandrake users: Check the version of your compiler. If
you're using the Red Hat "experimental" gcc 2.96 compiler, you're likely to
run into difficulties using some of the stuff compiled with it. MySQL AB
clearly states that random crashes experienced while using a MySQL server
compiled with gcc 2.96 disappeared as soon as the binary was replaced with
a binary compiled with a different compiler."

Maybe it's a matter of updating the compiler? Worth a try.

I'm gonna be using this author's step-by-step install, with my coworker, so
we both know exactly how we're doing things. That way, we have
documentation of our process for further reference.

Thanks for the slackware link. As I said in my previous post, I'm looking
at as many possibilities as I can.

Carol