[Techtalk] Which distro?

Rebecca J. Walter rjp at mail.tele.dk
Fri Jan 10 10:42:24 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 01:16, Lea de Groot wrote:
> On Friday, January 10, 2003, WolfRyder scribed:
> > My dilemma is 2 fold...I don't know how to update linux software, only
> > install. Any suggestions? Yes, I'll _rtfm_ (hehehe),  but if anyone has any
> > tips with this particular OS, I would be grateful!
>
> I upgraded Suse from 8.0 to 8.1 and its dead easy - the install disks
> (get the DVD - much easier than all that dammed disk swapping!!) give
> you the option of upgrade, ask a couple of questions and then spends a
> couple of hours (no, really :( ) performing the upgrade.
> I havent found any problems from the upgrade yet - it went much better
> than the upgrade from 7.3 (I think) to 8.0, which I gave up on and
> reinstalled from scratch

The upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1 shouldn't be too bad.  There are significant
changes in YaST2 package management, but I think it updates easily.  7.3
to 8.0 broke because of major changes in other stuff.

As for updating in a GUI... YaST2 has "SuSE YOU", but it is a patch-only
update thing in 8.0.  Once you get the YaST2 from 8.1, it should be
possible to set an FTP server as the installation source and easily use
yast2 to update or add packages from the ftp server.  I haven't tried it
myself, I just know it was supposed to be that way.

For the original poster... you could run SuSE YOU in your 8.0 and see if
it offers the versions you want.  Otherwise you will need to update to
8.1.  The best method for updating 8.0 to 8.1 is probably to buy or
borrow CDs or DVDs from someone.  Downloading from FTP takes forever.