[Techtalk] Internal DVD rom Drive (and DVDRW)

Syleniel grrliegeek at elenari.net
Mon Jan 6 09:19:56 EST 2003

Reana's question brought to mind another issue I was curious about, being
in the market for a DVDRW in the near future. Someone in my local LUG
mentioned that a Sony DVD player they recently bought refuses to play
DVDRW's that don't have a particular DRM thingie burned onto them (and
your legally home burned backups of your DVD's don't). They say so right
in the instruction manual.

I'm not sure if the Sony DVD player in question was a TV player or PC
DVD-R. Has anyone come across this restriction in their recent Sony DVD-R
or DVD-RW's? I've always been a fan of Sony for the quality of their
drives, but I'm less than thrilled with their attempts at restricting my
ability to make legal backups of the DVD's and CD's I purchased. I'd like
to avoid getting a DVD-RW that's going to be crippled. Thanks for your
input :)

--
Syleniel
Linux Counter #264789