[Techtalk] Success story (brag?)

Dave North dave at timocharis.com
Sat Jan 4 11:35:08 EST 2003

Carla:
> Apple... stubbornly clinging to one-button mice is just silly, though I
> believe OS X has made the big leap to right-clicking.

My current favorite contender among the Emperor Has No Clothes concepts in
the market today.
	Okay, I have an osX box and I'm using it right now. It has
excellent support for right clicks and wheel mice, though for
middle-clicking you're pretty much on your own, even if it is unix-based.
	But what do they ship with the box? A stupid one-button mouse.
	Now you could argue, hey, anybody can go out and get a wheelmouse
(probably with Microsoft printed on it) for $15 or something, so what's
the big deal?
	Two things:
	1. Macs cost a fortune for outdated hardware. They add insult to
injury by shipping an ancient, hand-crank mouse that you have to donate to
land fill, since it has no known use. Nothing expresses the fact that
you're paying Too Much for Old Crap than the mouse. Get a clue, Steve!
	2. The Really Really Bad Thing is they ship their laptops with a
one-button mouse. They probably have to pay some company extra to make
such a wheezing old piece of crap with which to hobble their powerbooks.
In fact, there is no more damning criticism of the apple notebooks than
that a buyer is now Permanently Stuck with a useless one-button system
unless they want to tote an additional mouse ... not available from Apple.
	Now that's Really Really Stupid.
	This from a company somehow reputed to understand marketing.
	Feh. Not only does the emperor have no clothes, he has bad skin.