[Techtalk] Need advice for PC upgrade

Beth Johnson linux.chick at verizon.net
Fri Feb 28 07:54:13 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 22:23, Samer M. Yhya wrote:

> WILL THESE WORK UNDER REDHAT8?
>
> 32 MB nRiva TNT II AGP                    ?      39,95 (video)
> Creative SoundBlaster Digital 4.1 OEM     ?      22,50 (sound)
> Celeron 1700 MHz socket 478, boxed        ?      77,50 (processor)
> Motherboard? (any suggestions?)           ?     -+100

Hi Samer,
Deanna has already pointed you to the RedHat HCL, which is a great
starting point.

The nVidia cards require a custom, non-GPL driver from nVidia to enable
3D hardware acceleration, otherwise it works fine with the RedHat
supplied stuff.  It's pretty easy to do the install of the custom
drivers, but I understand if you don't want to do that.

Support for Creative SoundBlaster cards has been very good in the Linux
kernel.  Check the HCL for the exact model.

I've had experience with Soyo and Asus motherboards, as well as some
other, smaller company ones.  Soyo and Asus both have good documentation
and help on their sites.

Have fun upgrading!
Beth
--