[Techtalk] long-term data storage

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Wed Feb 26 22:18:35 EST 2003

Is there any medium besides paper that you trust for long-term data storage?
Seems like looking beyond five years gets iffy. What about 10-30 years? Which
still isn't that long, compared to books and magazines.

Seems to me any magnetic media, such as tape and hard drives, are inherently
risky. Optical disks might last longer, assuming the means to read them
survives. I've heard more than one passionate rant about "CDROMs will
spontaneously delaminate, mark my words, and then you'll be sorry!" I have
five-year old CDROMs that still work, my precious Quake and DOOM cds.

--
Carla Schroder