[Techtalk] easy SMTP authentication with any MTA

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Wed Feb 26 01:12:35 EST 2003

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 10:21:51PM -0600, Morgan Landry wrote:
> I'd really like to use mutt as my MUA instead of Mozilla,
> but to use it I want to be able to both send and receive mail.

Well, I use exim for the mutt-to-MTA-to-mailserver relaying thing, largely
because it was the mailer-by-default on my debian system.  The forwarding is
pretty simple.  I just added the following lines to my exim.conf:

smarthost:
  driver = domainlist
  transport = remote_smtp
  route_list = "* mail.myserver.ca bydns_a"
end

And commented something else out, although I don't recall what that was
exactly... I think it was the lookuphost: section.

(It is, of course, possible to do this with sendmail, but I've only used
sendmail on machines that were actually functioning as mailservers, so I
never learned how to set them up to pass mail to another mailserver that
way.)

I installed exim as a debian package, so i can't say how easy it'd be to
install in other ways, but I can say that the default config file is nicely
commented, and the documentation seemed good last I checked, so it shouldn't
be too bad.

 Terri