[Techtalk] Server was hacked into; looking for tips on how to secure it

Jessica Smith crystalsinger at mail.com
Mon Feb 24 17:44:06 EST 2003

Hi again Jen,

I should also mention that tools which allow you to "eyeball" your server
can also be useful for managing security. I have HotSaNIC on my server, and
although it's not really a security tool I have caught unusual data
spikes/CPU usage, etc., which have helped me to spot things that are
candidates for security problems.

My server hasn't been hacked yet - so far as I know - but it's reassuring
to have a few different ways of "seeing what's going on" on your server,
and an eyeopener to realise just how many script-kiddies are out there
trying to find an easy way in.

Of course, the *really* scary spooks are the ones that you'll never know
were there...  :-)

Jess