O/T Re: [Techtalk] Re: Tip for buying old hardware :-)

Jessica Smith crystalsinger at mail.com
Sat Feb 22 11:30:29 EST 2003

Earlier, Brenda and Vera were engaged in their own version of the Four
Yorkshiremen sketch:

>On 2/21/2003 at 3:02 PM Brenda Bell wrote:
> >Don't stop there... I needed a firewall solution and didn't really
> >know what I was looking for as far as functionality went -- so I
> >pulled a supposedly worthless 386 out of a closet, slammed an old disk
> >drive in it that was too small for anything else and installed NetBSD
> >Firewall.  It's been humming along for about 12 months with one
> >deliberate reboot to hook it up to a new UPS.
>
>Oh, we haven't! :) One machine he picked up either at a yardsale or a
>thrift store for dirt cheap is our firewall/router. For this, we removed
>everything but the floppy drive and the ethernet card, and have Linux On A
>Floppy (LOAF) running. We've been using it with DSL for over 2 years now
>and have never had a problem with it.

Luxury! We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the
morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the
mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us
around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

:-D

Jess