[Techtalk] system config for .doc

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Tue Feb 18 19:10:26 EST 2003

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 08:46:13AM +1100, Mary wrote:
> The defaults for opening files are defined in the /etc/mailcap file.
> The first matching entry will be used if possible. Quite often there's a
> test though - for example the test for X applications is the $DISPLAY
> environment variable - if this isn't set, the next matching line will be
> tried, and so on.

Ok, those are scary looking files. My ~./mailcap has only openoffice
references. /etc/mailcap has some abiword references AND openoffice
references (both for MSWord). So I deleted the abiword references. I now
get openoffice when I try to open an MSWord attachment from mutt. Yay!

> You can edit /etc/mailcap, but I find it easier just to copy lines from
> it to ~/.mailcap
> Your ~/.mailcap file takes priority over /etc/mailcap cap, so if you
> want to use something other than abiword, put an alternative
> application/ms-word (or whatever the MIME type is for .doc, check
> /etc/mailcap and /etc/mime.types) line in ~/.mailcap.

Ok. I think I need to add more stuff for PDFs as well...I look at it again
when I'm feeling less afraid. :)

> Not all applications use the mailcap file to work these things out -
> GNOME for example has its own system I believe - but mutt does use it.

I don't use The Feet.

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]