[Techtalk] opinions on RBLs, please

Piglet listpig at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 17 15:49:28 EST 2003

They seem to vary in cluefulness.  There's at least one out there that's
blacklisted anyone/everyone who uses Sprint as an upstream provider, but
most folks are clueful enough not to use that one (I can't recall who it is
at the moment).

However, they seem to take listings from each other, and last night they
decided to put one of attbi.com's main mail servers on blacklist, which
pretty much blocks my ability to post a number of places.  IMO, blocking a
mail server from a major cable modem provider on the basis of one reported
spam from one of their subscribers is mindbogglingly clueless.  So you'd
want the ability to override and whitelist things that shouldn't have been
blacklisted....

I'm wondering at the moment whether the reason attbi got blacklisted is one
clueless RBL worker who looked at the fact that the spam has a return
address of a free webmail company (excite.com I believe) but came thru attbi
and said "open relay", when in fact it isn't: no matter what ISP you're
using for your mail address (and POP), if you're connected to the net via
cable modem, you're using them for outgoing mail, and it's not an open
relay---they're checking to see whether that mail's coming in via their
cable before taking it on.

(I can't send via Earthlink without disconnecting from the cable and dialing
up---Earthlink checks to see how I'm connected.  And if I'm dialed up, I
can't send via attbi, because they're looking for that cable connection.  No
open relays either place.)

--pig, on a rant

On 2/17/2003 12:28, carla at bratgrrl.com shared this thought: