[Techtalk] Sysgen question (Telsa?)

Caitlyn M. Martin cmartin at rateintegration.com
Wed Feb 12 15:20:43 EST 2003

Hi, everyone,

Telsa:  I hope you're reading this :)

I have a new (to me) Toshiba Libretto SS1010CT:  Pentium 233MMX, 96MB
RAM, 2.1GB hard drive.   I thought installing Linux onto this one would
be easy.  Red Hat 8.0 went onto my Libretto 50CT (P75, 32MB RAM)
absolutely smoothly, and I even managed to get it onto my Libretto 20CTA
(486 DX75, 16MB RAM).  Guess what?  Getting it onto the SS1010 is a real
bear.

Here's the problem:  the Red Hat installer doesn't recognize the PCMCIA
slot.  This is well documented on the web.  That means NFS and PCMCIA
CD-ROM installs are right out.  The hard drive is too small to
accommodate the ISO images and an installed OS.  Also, I can't remove
the hard drive and stick it in something else because it's an odd 6.3mm
high one.  (SS stands for "Slim Shock", and it is thin.)  That also
means no hard drive upgrade unless someone knows where to get big 6.3mm
drives.  Other folks have loaded Slackware onto SS1000 and SS1010
systems, and I may resort to that, but I prefer Red Hat.

Alan Cox' sysgen came to mind, and I did use it when I put 7.2 onto my
20CTA.  The thing is, the way I used it was to put the hard drive in
another box.  Can sysgen work on a different partition on the drive it's
running from or would I need to hack it?  What is the minimum version of
Red Hat that sysgen will run on?  I can put an ancient, small version on
the box (i.e.: 5.2 or 6.0) and work up from there *if* sysgen would
compile and run on such an old version.

Any creative ideas on how to get this done?

Thanks,
Caity
Caitlyn M. Martin		cmartin at rateintegration.com
Senior Systems Administrator	http://www.rateintegration.com