[Techtalk] NFS mount Success!

Alvin Goats agoats at compuserve.com
Mon Feb 10 00:10:22 EST 2003

I'm posting to both, one to claim success for getting my laptop
connected to my tower with NFS and second, to maybe help whoever it was
that had a problem with connecting their laptop at school....

The NFS HOW-TO's, man pages, et al talk about using /etc/fstab for
setting up a server, which if you do that and don't have the network
connected, can give you a very long time out (which I believe is about 5
minutes for ANY device being mounted by fstab, it was so when I failed
to turn on a Jaz drive that was listed there).

Playing around for about the past 2 months, I finally got it figured out
and just used mount to get everything started:

mount -t nfs -o rsize=8192,wsize=8192,soft,posix,tcp frogstar:/
/frogstar

which let me mount my laptop's (frogstar) root filesystem to my tower's
directory /frogstar.

I made an executable script to do this (mfrogstar) and you can unmount
the network connection by using umount:

umount /frogstar

I think this may be what the other individual may want to do. Create 2
scripts, one for home that mounts all the home network devices to their
laptop for home use, and one for school that mounts the school system
only. None of this is in fstab, so there shouldn't be the long delay
waiting to connect to a nonexistant "device".

The only problem is making sure you run the correct script to mount at
school and at home.

Of course, you also have to have your /etc/exports file configured
properly as well. I had that part done, I just couldn't ever get the
fileserver mounted. Had it started a long time ago.... :)

Next step for me:  samba! And I want it done the same way!

Alvin