Getting the best tech support (Re: [Techtalk] Pathetic Mini How-To on CUPS & MacOSX Clients)

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Fri Feb 7 11:26:47 EST 2003

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003, Jenn Vesperman wrote:
> It's perfectly acceptable to send back an email saying 'I am not your
> personal free tech support. Send mail to the appropriate list if you
> want help.' If you happen to know what the appropriate list is, you can
> be nice to them and post the URL for signing up for that list.

There are several arguments you can put forward:

 - your problem will be seen by lots of people who:

   - can share the load around

   - have more knowledge between them than any one of the list members
     could possibly have

   - are likely to have more time for you collectively than any one
     individual has

 - your problem and solutions will be archived and eventually be
   searchable via Google et al, thus being more useful than private
   correspondence between individuals AND saving someone else from ever
   having to ask that question on a list, thus saving the time of many
   people.

This is also the reason many of us choose to give our volunteer time to
lists, not to individuals - we are likely to be more useful that way.

Note: People replying to this message should think carefully about
whether their response is on-topic for techtalk...

-Mary