[Techtalk] bandwidth hogging

Jennifer Davis davi0302 at algonquinc.on.ca
Sat Feb 1 22:41:16 EST 2003

Hi:
	Something is terribly wrong with my LAN and I don't know how to fix so
I thought I would turn to Techtalk.  So, thanks in advance.  I should be
getting downloads of 300KB/s and all I seem to manage is 10, and the
dowloads grind to a halt.  I haven't been able to do much on my
connection in probably two months.  It's fine for surfing and mail, but
little else.

	I have a 3MB Bell Sympatico ADSL connection that runs PPPoE.  I usae
the Roaring Penguin PPPoE tool to make the connection.  The computer is
a classic maquerafing system.  I use a P200 box with two nic cards.  The
PC does not have a GUI, just a CLIE.  It runs Slackware 8.1 with the
default 2.4.18 kernel.  The firewall is IP chains, and I got it from
www.pmfirewall.org.  I have the computers on the LAN connected with a
10/100 Switch.

	I am at a total loss on this.  When I was on line with tech support,
they had me connect my "modem" to the PC directly, and with Windows XP,
I managed to get a download of 342KB/s on a service pack from Microsoft.
  Any help would be really appreciated on this.  I can't think of
anything I have changed in the past little while that would cause the
LAN to slow down.  My guess is that it's the firewall.

	Thanks in advance

	jenn