[Techtalk] Software recommendation: photo database

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Mon Dec 29 09:53:52 EST 2003

On Sun, Dec 28, 2003, Rudy L. Zijlstra wrote:
> Sigh, I suspect your best solution may be MySQL, which runs on quit a
> few platforms, and has a GUI available for development as well.
> Alternatively you could investigate into OpenLDAP, which may be able to
> handle this as well. You are basically asking for an open DataBase, and
> my knowledge on that is limited. Especially in the Windows arena.

It doesn't really win on the "my family can take it and keep using it
when I die without really understanding what it is" front, unfortunately
:(

It needs a database admin to keep it working.

Someone else pointed me at http://www.w3.org/TR/photo-rdf/ which is more
the sort of thing I had in mind, but it doesn't have fine grained fields
for the subjects of the photo (which would put a burden on the query
engine... is "John G" the same person as "JG" and as "John"?)

-Mary