[Techtalk] Software recommendation: photo database

Aguido Horatio Davis horatio at computer.org
Sun Dec 28 20:21:21 EST 2003

On 28/12/2003, at 5:51 PM, Mary wrote:

> While I'm asking, has anyone used any good open data format
> geneological
> tools? Are there any standard data formats?

After a certain proprietary operating system which shall remain
nameless decided to eat my family's genealogical database (we'd managed
to construct a coherent family tree all the way back to our arrival on
this continent...sigh) putting together a replacement established
itself on my "to do" list.

I did some digging around, and GEDCOM seems to be the closest thing
there is to a standard open data format for genealogical data. Google
for more.

Cheers,

Horatio