[Techtalk] Looking for HP-UX 10.20 and Solaris 1.1.2 (SunOS 4.1.4)media

Kathryn Hogg kjh at flyballdogs.com
Thu Dec 18 14:03:06 EST 2003

caitlyn at mizuhoradio.com said:
> The ZD#@!~! company I am on contract to (until 1/23.  I can't wait to
> start
> my new job in February.) has an ancient HP Visualize C200 workstation
> still
> in use as an application server.  The root password magically disappeared.
> OK, I can boot from CD-ROM and fix this, right?  Nope.  We have no media.
> Does anyone have an HP-UX 10.x bootable CD they can spare?

I'm on vacation until 1/5 but I'll forward to someone at work.

Do you have any other HP's laying around?  If so, you can take the drive
out this computer, put it in another as a secondary drive, and then
twiddle the passwd file.  It probably has to be another HP machine because
I doubt any other vendor supports the hfs file system.

Another thing to check is if the / partition happens to be NFS exported
with root permissions.  If so, you can just mount the disk via NFS and
edit the passwd file as root on it.

--
Kathryn
http://womensfootyusa.com