[Techtalk] vi clones

Ricky Buchanan rb at tertius.net.au
Tue Dec 9 18:28:47 EST 2003

Nadiah Kristensen wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 05:04:48PM -0800, Carla Schroder wrote:
> > What's your fave vi clone, or do you prefer good ole vi itself?
> I'd recommend gvim to anyone who is new to vi. It comes with nice
> colouring and the gui buttons are nifty for those who don't know the
> commands yet. There is one for windos as well. After a while, though,
> I had little need for the friendly interface and just started using
> vim. So, yes, a valuable tool for starting out with.

Just to clarify, gvim is the gui on top of vim.  They usually come
together.

I am a great vim fan, I am writing this in vim right not, and the syntax
colouring is astoundingly great!  It also has actively maintained
websites (many - start at www.vim.org) and mailing lists to help you get
started.

Regards,
Ricky