[Techtalk] Default umask without login?

Maureen Young-Seller maureen at greatplacetowork.com
Thu Aug 28 02:27:41 EST 2003

Is it possible to set a default umask for a user whose shell is set to /sbin/nologin?

I have a box that a few far-flung users are using as an ftp drop/exchange for files that are too big to email.  All of them have shells set to /sbin/nologin so they can only ftp to the box.  I wanted to set each of them to have a unique username and then set them into a common group so they could each have access to a default (home) directory that the other users can't access, and to a common (group) folder that they could use to exchange files with each other.  But any files that are created in that group folder have permissions of rwxr-xr-x, which isn't what I want.

I want the group folder to have write permissions for the group id (rwxrwx--- ideally) so any of the users can create and delete any of the files in the common folder.  As it is, any of them can read/download the files in the common folder, but only a file's creator can delete it, which is somewhat inconvenient.  (Most of these files to be exchanged are of the "please-download-and-then-delete-so-it-isn't-hanging-about-on-the-server" type, but it would be easier if the recipient could delete after downloading, rather than waiting for the creator to get back on and do it.)

So, is there a way to set a default umask for these folks without giving them a login?  (Even if I did give them a login, if I set a umask in .bashrc or .login, would that carry over to an FTP login?)

Or is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks, all.

mo'                            maureen at gptw.org
propeller head
www.greatplacetowork.com       "The two major products to come out
286 divisadero                  of Berkeley are LSD and UNIX.
sf, ca  94117                   We don't believe this to be a
415.503.1234.x318               coincidence."  - Jeremy S. Anderson