[Techtalk] Debian apt and dpkg help, FIXED KDE works yay

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Mon Aug 25 12:12:01 EST 2003

On Monday 25 August 2003 11:57 am, Carla Schroder wrote:
> Re: [Techtalk] Debian apt and dpkg help, FIXED KDE works yay

I'd like to point out, for the benefit of my fellow Debian newbies, that
apt-get dist-upgrade first downloads all the necessary packages. Then it
installs them. The downloaded packages go into /var/cache/apt/archives. This
is good to know if you're on a slow connection; my KDE adventures required
110 megabytes of download- over dialup. Not something I want to do a lot! So
the downloaded packages can be backed up, in case things really go haywire.

I believe it is good to also back up /var/lib/apt/lists/ and
/etc/apt/sources.list, to keep everything in sync.

--
Carla Schroder