[Techtalk] Debian apt and dpkg help, please

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Sun Aug 24 17:43:35 EST 2003

On Sunday 24 August 2003 4:59 pm, Liz Young wrote:
> On Sunday 24 August 2003 10:04 am, Carla Schroder wrote:
> > dpkg: error processing
> > /var/cache/apt/archives/libartsc0_1.1.3-0woody1_i386.deb (--unpack):
> >  trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/artsdsp', which is also in package
> > libarts1-bin dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken
> > pipe)
> > Errors were encountered while processing:
> >  /var/cache/apt/archives/libarts1_1.1.3-0woody1_i386.deb
> >  /var/cache/apt/archives/libartsc0_1.1.3-0woody1_i386.deb
> > E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
> >
> > Googling on these errors returns a lot of people with questions, but
> > few with answers. Any bright ideas?
>
> Try purging libarts1-bin first, and then run -f install.
>
> dpkg -P libarts1-bin
>
> Or, you can try --force `ing the new .debs.
>
> I can't test that because I'm running Sarge/Sid, but HTH.

Gaarrr, I nuked the damn drive and started over. I wish I had read your
message first.

OK- what's the best way to upgrade individual applications? I'm looking at
this page, among others, http://cafecomputer.com/guide/ch-iraus.en.html, and
it's not clear to me how to select individual apps for upgrade. For example,
Kmail. I'm seeing purges, I'm seeing downgrades- I don't want to go
backwards!

thanks,
Carla