[Techtalk] Problems with KPPP

Sara saracasan at yahoo.es
Tue Aug 19 17:06:39 EST 2003

Hi!

I'm trying to use my laptop with an external modem, but kppp doesn't
work. I know the modem is OK, because I'm using it right now with my old
computer.
I'm running a Debian "mixed", mostly unestable (in case that info is
useful) and on starting kppp the modem is recognized. The problem is
that some times, when I open the register window, instead of reading the
usual commands (ATZ, OK, dialing...)  I read symbols like "@i" and the
app seems to be hanged. Other times it starts OK but it seems to hang on
"adjusting volume". When it seems that everything is OK (no starnge
symbols and no volume adjusting) then it dials but then it hangs: "no
dial tone". I know that there is, because just connecting in that moment
the modem to my other computer everything is OK.  Also, at the shell
from where I start the app it appears the error "no able to open
resolv.conf". I've copied that file from my old computer to the pppd
directory  in the laptop, but it doen seem to work. I've been takeing a
look at the ppd directoy, and reading the kppp file, but I've run out of
ideas.

Any help? :)

Thanks,

Sara