[Techtalk] trying to find a question that _is_ "too dumb"

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Tue Aug 12 16:12:22 EST 2003

At 8/12/03 03:35 PM , Hamster wrote:

> > What does the "s" in "sbin" stand for??
>
>Hi, I don't *know* the answer, but I'm guessing it's for superuser. The
>programmes in sbin can only be run by root.

Yup, exactly right. Or at least, they *should* only be run by root. Most of
the time, /sbin (and /usr/sbin and /usr/local/sbin) shouldn't even be in a
non-root user's $PATH.

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"Death and money make their point once more,
  In the shape of philosophical assassins..."
                                                 --Shriekback,
                                                  "Gunning for the
                                                   Buddha"