[Techtalk] sendmail on NetBSD

Rudy L. Zijlstra rudy at edsons.demon.nl
Sat Aug 9 21:53:17 EST 2003

Brenda Bell wrote:

>[snip]
>The problem seems to be connected to my DSL connection getting dropped when
>my ISP does maintenance but I need to do some digging to determine exactly
>what's happening.
>
>In the meantime, is there a command I can run that will flush the deferred
>deliveries?

Not until your dsl connection is back, no. Also, such  command should
aready be active. During startup a command like:
sendmail -bd -q15m

or for newer releases:

 sendmail_start() {
  if [ -x /usr/sbin/sendmail ]; then
    echo "Starting sendmail MTA daemon:  /usr/sbin/sendmail -L sm-mta
-bd -q15m"
    /usr/sbin/sendmail -L sm-mta -bd -q15m
    echo "Starting sendmail MSP queue runner:  /usr/sbin/sendmail -L
sm-msp-queue -Ac -q15m"
    /usr/sbin/sendmail -L sm-msp-queue -Ac -q15m
  fi

The second incarnation is the sendmail queue daemon., which takes care
of handling queued messages. In this case every 15 minutes.

Without you dsl connection, your DNS does not work, thus sendmail cannot
deliver. Sendmail is in that aspect totally dependent on DNS.

Cheers,

Rudy