[Techtalk] Making Linux safe for wife and kids...

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Mon Sep 30 00:22:14 EST 2002

On Thu, 2002-09-26 at 09:13, Alvin Goats wrote:

> I have managed to set certain directories off limits with midnite
> commander (mc), by using File -> Advanced chown  and setting the values
> to rxw r-- r--. The directory name is seen, but access to anyone not
> root is "denied".

Good.

> poweruser needs access to these blocked directories as well, but no one
> else. These directories contain data, work files, consulting
> directories, download files, etc. No one else needs access to them.

Set the group to any group that contains you and poweruser but noone
else, and use chown to make the permissions rwx rwx r--.

(the first rwx is 'user who owns the file'. The second is 'group who
owns the file'. The third is 'everyone else'.)

> Now, HOW DO I DO IT?

I don't understand the question. As far as I can tell, I've told you how
to do it - obviously, I haven't. But I'm not sure what I've missed.
Where is the gap in your understanding?

Somehow, the mails you've received haven't managed to provide the
'ahhhh, now I get it' moment. If you can tell us where you're still
confused, WE will get an 'ahhh, now I understand' moment, and be able to
say 'oh, you're missing THIS bit of information'.

> Cause after I get my PC done (which has internet access), I have my
> wife's and kids computers to do next!
>
> Your group has been more helpful than the majority I've tried.

You're welcome.

Jenn V.

jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/