[Techtalk] Protecting spouse, kids from each other and limitingaccess

Alvin Goats agoats at compuserve.com
Fri Sep 27 21:07:40 EST 2002

It now all makes sense. Unfortunately, the literature I have and read
don't link all the pieces together in order. It's like having a list of
ingredients to make yeast bread, you know you have to mix it and bake
it, but no detailed instructions about kneading and rising, which goes
first...

The book I have spent a page discussing chmod with hexadecimal, octal,
adding numbers but nothing about how it plays with chgrp. chgrp talks
about how to change group ownership of a file or directory, but not how
it relates to the rest. groupadd and adduser talked about setting file
permissions, but the way it was worded suggests that the files are set
in /etc/groups. The man pages and FAQ's discuss everything more in terms
of how the individual programs work independently from each other, not
in a serially threaded fashion.

Bear with me now. Sequence of events to "bake yeast bread":

1) groupadd to get group on file

2) adduser to get the user on file and added to group

3) chgrp to directories/files to individually/recursively set group's
directory/file ownership privileges

4) chmod to directories/files to individually/recursively include groups
readable, writeable, executable  privileges

Now if they'd only put it that plainly.

Thank you VERY much!

Alvin