[Techtalk] _The_ HOWTO

Charlotte Oliver COliver at casedesign.com
Mon Sep 23 15:16:55 EST 2002

> 	If you find those comments troubling, I'd suggest
> pointing out that the document is aimed at participation in
> the linux community, not just use of the OS and/or support
> programs. Therefore, comments about use while alone, or in
> familiar environments (while they are interesting) are not
> responsive to the issue at hand; nor do they address the
> problem raised by the HOWTO.
> 	I hope others can suggest even more thoughtful approaches.

*nod*  You're correct - and others did point that exact thing out.

> 	I haven't seen your comments, but I will take the word
> "raged" literally (for the sake of discussion) and ask if
> indeed that's what you really want to see in the way of

Nope, not me.
I rage privately, but try to respond intelligently.

My response to the "my wife uses linux" one-line post:

"Personally, I've been using linux for three years and I still get
stared at like I'm some kind of freak every time I utter the phrase, 'my
linux server.'

So yes, there are a few women in linux. However, I'm much more
comfortable in the women-related forums for linux -- and there's a
reason for that.

It would be great to have a more even percentage of men-women in the
linux community. You can just go to any Con to discover that that's not
currently the case -- so why the negative backlash over this article
from some men reading it? "

Response I got:

"I think what many of the guys here are saying, is that it is not the
content, it is the presentation of the content. We don't like being
talked down to anymore than women do. Comments from the other female
posters on this page spouting things like "You're a cute little
dinosaur" to one of the posters who had the audacity to disagree with
her is not the best way to win friends and influence people.

There is no excuse for that kind of obnoxious behavior. People that have
to use epitaphs such as that are obviously unable to argue their case on
its merits and have to resort to personal attacks. To me it reeks of the
pseudo-intellectual snobbery so often seen with young undergrad
students.

That and a five-spot will buy you a cup of coffee in Manhattan

<name-snip> "

Response I gave to that basically said that he brought up a very valid
point and I pointed out that the HOWTO is not specifically addressed to
men.

NOTE: I did not go out of my way to call ANYONE a name, yet he responded
snidely as though I were responsible for the name-calling that HAS gone
on.

Also: I did not identify myself as a Linuxchix

> 	LinuxChix itself is founded and infused with the idea
> that a civil forum is a Good Thing. The issue is not whether
> we feel outrage, but whether we express our raw feelings
> publicly in ways that may not serve the community, or raise
> needless conflict.

Indeed.  Hopefully I did as much.

> 	My apologies if your use of the word "rage" was
> interpreted too literally, or if none of that rage was
> obvious in your posting, or even if you simply disagree with
> what I'm saying and think rage is a useful and appropriate
> approach to public discussion.

I was looking for a more sympathetic audience in the linuxchix group
than I would find outside of it.
I know that several other linuxchix were also wading their way through
the comments, some of which were hard to digest.

> 	Somehow this seemed like a point worth making, though,
> after I read the post.
> 	Whaddya think?

Absolutely on the mark.  Hopefully I didn't go off the handle in the
forum.

Charlotte