[Techtalk] Over-zealous spam filtering (by Raven's ISP?)

Whoppo whoppo at whoppo.net
Sun Sep 22 20:03:57 EST 2002

I ususally don't bother wasting bandwidth to justify what I do with my
personal time or my personal property, but I'm feeling somewhat compelled to
repsond to the unrest that seems to be resulting from the "Zero-Toleance"
policy we've adopted towards email spammers.

I'll start by emphasizing that Raven and I run our own servers for hosting of
domains, websites, email and various other internet-related content.
These servers are 100% privately owned and administered by us. WE  pay the
hundreds of dollars per month for both co-location and a high bandwidth
commercial connection at home and we do so for OUR convenience. The accounts
on these servers are for our personal use and the use of family
members and a few select friends.. that's all... nobody else... period.

Now...  about the filtering of entire domains.. If a domain is obviously no
more than a source of spam (ie- optin-offers.com,
emailoffersforyou.com, etc) it gets banned as soon as we see it soiling our
in-boxes.  Domains that are more generic (co.uk, co.jp, mail.com, etc.)
are given a little more slack to begin with.. When we smell the stench of
spam from one of these, the host gets banned..  when a domain racks up 5
to 10 host bans, those host bans go away and the entire domain gets banned.
If it turns out that a domain ban is a problem for any of the handful
of accounts on our private server, then we'll work around that... otherwise
it stays in place.  So there are a million users somewhere on the other
side of the planet that can't send email to this handful of addresses...
sorry 'bout that, but they'll just have to get over it. If the inability to
send us email causes them pain or anguish, perhaps they should get out more.
If the wording on the bounce message is offensive, I'll gladly furnish a
sampling of the far-more offensive material that earned that host and/or
domain a place on our list.

A word about notifying ISP's: There may indeed be some very dutiful and
responsive "abuse" managers scattered amongst the vast sea of ISP's, however
these number very few in the big picture. Since I put my first co-located
server on line 4+ years ago, I have sent literally hundreds of letters to
ISPs regarding spam and other types of malicious traffic from their users and
to date I have never received more than an auto-responder message stating how
much they care, while the traffic continued. 'nuff said.

Our current "shit list" (yes... this list is for the most part appropriately
named) blocks an average of 100 - 300 pieces of junk mail every single
day.  To date, there have been only two(2) pieces of legitimate mail
blocked..  Let's quantify this for just the past calendar year...  that's TWO
pieces of legit mail bounced compared to 30,000+ pieces of unwanted and often
offensive spam rejected..  looks to me like our policy works just
fine.

If you're taking offense to our spam policy, well..  there's most likely not
much I can say to make you feel better... please don't take it personally
(unless you're a spammer of course). If you think making a big fuss over this
policy will cause it to change, you'll surely be disappointed. We are
violating no laws nor are we in violation of any AUP that our providers may
have in place and subsequently not under any obligation to change it.

To wrap up my little rant I'll offer the following:
As a result of the flurry of concern over our filtering "every company in
Japan" I decided to remove the "co.jp" domain from the list as a test and
within just a few hours I was blessed with a great offer from a co.jp host
where I could obtain all the "Farm animals with Teen-age sluts" my monitor
could handle. They were even kind enough to provide a sample of this
wonderful pictorial offering. Perhaps this might help explain the descriptive
name of our filter list.

We are not "evil administrators"... we are not bad people...  we've just had
enough spam and these are the measures we taken to deal with...

There... I'm done ranting..  Thanks for your attention and apoligies for
consuming your bandwidth by adding to this already off-topic thread.

Flames are gladly accepted, though frequently redirected to /dev/null.

Ron

--
If you lived here, you'd be home now.