[Techtalk] Over-zealous spam filtering (by Raven's ISP?)

Raquel Rice raquel at thericehouse.net
Sat Sep 21 09:24:14 EST 2002

On Sat, 21 Sep 2002 15:51:53 +0100 (BST)
James <jas at spamcop.net> wrote:

> All the public blacklist projects provide an email address
> (exempted from the blacklist, for obvious reasons!) where server
> admins can query bans, and ask for a re-test.
>
> Except it isn't sent to those who sent you the spam - it's sent to
> anyone using the same ISP as a spammer!
>
> NO. They are major ISPs, who had a *customer* who spammed you.
> There are literally millions of other users of those ISPs who have
> never spammed anybody in their lives, which is why I was rather
> surprised to get a message saying I was "shitlisted for spamming".
>
> My own ISP, despite appearing on your "shit-list" for spamming, is
> very active in preventing its users from operating open-relays,
> open-proxies, spamming, DoSing etc; fire up a copy of CodeRed or
> NIMDA, and you are immediately shut off.
>
> I'm also a little surprised you don't have any of the major US
> ISPs blocked, when they are rather more spam-tolerant than mine...
>

> James.

Why all the fuss over one small-time (sorry, Raven.  No offense
intended) mail server?  If the mail was DISCARDed rather than
REJECTed, you would never have known.  I don't answer the door when
Jehovah Witnesses or Seventh Day Adventists or sales people come
knocking.  I try not to allow the same thing to happen with my
email.  Why all the fuss?  Is it worth upsetting everyone's
(including yourself) day over?

--
Raquel
If your efforts are sometimes greeted with indifference, don't lose