[Techtalk] Tell me I'm dreaming

ninsaki ninsaki at fuckmicrosoft.com
Sat Sep 21 00:12:15 EST 2002

 JDavis at JUSTICE.GC.CA wrote...

>I was just wondering if there is a way to set up a wireless network
>that
>would have a 750m - 1.0km range (Affordably)?

As much as I'd love to take credit for this answer, it is from a very
reliable source--hope it helps!

Linksys wet11 about $100 USD. Zcomax 180mW pc card, about $150 USD,
Hyperlink 14db omni about $110 USD.

Crack open the wet11, take out the pc card, and replace with the
Zcomax card. When you order the hyperlink antenna, ask them to put on
a reverse SMA connector, then connect that to the wet11 instead of
the 2.2 dbi dipole that comes with it. All of this will fit in a
4x4x6 NEMA enclosure. The wet11 has 2 solder points that can be
jumpered easily to hook up power over ethernet. Then all you need is
to drill a hole in the NEMA enclosure and install a outdoor rated
cat-5 jack. You can run that up a pole with just an ethernet cable
and have access for miles for under $500 USD.

Check out the wireless isp list (can't remember where it is...) for
details on hooking up power over ethernet.

Good Luck!

ninsaki
ninsaki at fuckmicrosoft.com