[Techtalk] "Slapper" worm targeting Linux/Apache servers]

Raven Brooke linuxchiq at linuxchiq.com
Fri Sep 20 15:41:14 EST 2002

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Dave North wrote:

Yes, patch applied, Apache restarted, subsequent slapper infection.

The reason seems to be that OpenSSL has both server and client components,
some of which don't get initialized by a HANGUP or HUP signal. A reboot is
the best way to do this.

Cheers,

Raven

> Raven:
> > A *reboot* is required in order for this patch to work. Having just
> > rebuilt a server that was infected by slapper after the patch was
> > applied but the box not rebooted, I can testify that this is indeed
> > the case.
>
> I'm surprised! My understanding was restarting apache was adequate to the
> task. Did you do that and suffer a subsequent infection?
> 	Though I am a big fan of rebooting when it's logical ... playing
> the uptime game is perhaps not always the best approach.

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
0 rows returned.