[Techtalk] Getting names and addresses of forum users

Meredydd Luff meredydd at everybuddy.com
Thu Sep 19 23:27:27 EST 2002

Results so far:

Walt (pippin at fred.net) did a nice Google-assisted investigation. He
successfully found my email, instant messenger contact information, websites,
and a commercial product I contributed to, as well as the name of someone
with the same surname as me (who happened to be my brother). Thorough as this
was, it only turned up information I had deliberately placed in the public
domain.

Miriam (aka /dev/null) made me nervous. She successfully identified my
machine and username, as well as several of the services I run. However, the
nervous-making thing was the way she successfully named my school
administrator, my street address, and even my housemaster's phone number.
However, none of that information was actually under my control (from the DNS
registry I think), and the rest was also what I consider public domain
(although not all was stuff I had explicitly published there).

This has really become very interesting indeed - anyone else interested in
trying?

Meredydd

--

MSN Developer, Everybuddy project