[Techtalk] Getting names and addresses of forum users

kansas_kennedy at phreaker.net kansas_kennedy at phreaker.net
Fri Sep 20 02:05:51 EST 2002

At 05:27 PM 9/19/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>At one linux forum I often visit, someone recently said he(she?) was
>planning to publish (though not at this particular forum) the real names and
>addresses of trolls who had been regularly flaming him/her.
>The impression I got from that thread was that grabbing people's names and
>addresses thru a forum they're members of is quite easy.  Is this true, or
>is it just script kiddie bravado?  How is this possible?  I'm not asking
>because I want to do it myself - I just don't want it to happen to me.
>cheers
>Berenice

It's hard to be anonymous online these days. Yes, it's possible. But it's a
kiddish behavior. The mature behavior would be to discard the current mail
account and come up with a new one...in disguise. Even then flamers can
traceroute him/ her by ISP but it will be difficult for them to identify
one chaff from the wheat.