[Techtalk] Configuring Mailman to CC replies to the list

Maria Blackmore mariab at cats.meow.at
Mon Sep 16 11:23:30 EST 2002

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Sujita Purushothaman wrote:

> Yes, I had read both, but munging the Reply-To doesn't solve my problem,
> as I don't want the reply to go only to the list, it has to go both to the
> list as well the person the reply was for.

Hi,

The thing is, that niether the mail server nor the mailing list software
have any way of telling who the reply was aimed at, or if the message that
looks like it could be aimed at someone not on the list (to a
human) really was intended that way by the person that sent it.

Sadly, email software is not magic :)

sorry

You often find nowadays people putting little notes on their messages
saying "please cc me explicitly, I'm not on the list".  Failing that I
guess you could force someone to be subscribed to the list before they are
able to send a message to it?

I think the solution to this problem is more of a human one than a
programming or configuration one.

have fun

Maria