[Techtalk] samba issues...

Jeannette jcv at hise.org
Thu Sep 12 10:27:14 EST 2002

I might be able to help with some parts of this.

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Annie Downs wrote:

> the server is named snipps, i cant do ping snipps, but i can ping it by ip
> address. i have the samba browser xfsamba and i cant see this server (this is

Ok, to ping snipps, you need to add the alias snipps to your /etc/hosts
file in the format
192.168.1.15	snipps
(or whatever his IP address is)

> all a uni network but i dont really know the structure with workgroups and
> whatever) but i assume thats related to my not being able to ping it by name. i
> tried the command  smbclient //<hisIPaddress> and i got a message "Not enough
> '\' characters in service. so i tried smbclient //<hisIPaddress>/pete (the
> directory i'm lookin for)

this I ran into, here at work. What works for me is,
smbclient \\machine_name\c (takes me to the root C: directory. this works
even without the hosts file, but takes like a minute. with machine_name in
hosts file, it is really quick)
(Actually, I use smbclient \\machine_name\c -U my_name, because the owner
of the system gave me my own username, so I wouldn't have to use his
password)

>From here on, I am no help, because this worked for me and I never looked
into it further.

Good luck! Maybe someone else will see something to help!

Jeannette